6th May 2012
This is one of my all time favourite breakfast dishes combining as it does a mixture of sweet lingon sylt (jam) and the savoury salty taste of the smoked back bacon set against the warm flaky croissant and the rich soft scrambled egg.
Croissant with scrambled eggs and bacon
Combined Prep and Cooking time 15 minutes. Serves 2
6 small tomatoes (Perino tomatoes from Tesco are ideal)
4 rashers of smoked back bacon
4 eggs (Clarence Court, Burford Brown eggs with their rich yellow yolks are my favourite)
30 g Orkney coloured cheddar (this yellow cheese helps ensure that the scrambled eggs maintain their rich yellow colour)
2 large croissants (Morrisons)
Lingon sylt (IKEA or from Lidl under its German name of Preiselbeeren)
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt (Maldon)
Roasting dish large enough for the tomatoes and bacon
Bowl or large mug for whisking the eggs and cheese in
Frying pan, approx. 25cm diameter
Pestle and Mortar
- Set the oven to 180 degrees C and leave to warm up while gathering together the utensils and ingredients.
- Wash the tomatoes under the cold tap, shake dry and place in the roasting dish before lightly drizzling some olive oil over them and place in the oven.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl or large mug and grate in the cheese, then whisk using the chop sticks and set to one side.
- Take the roasting dish from the oven and with the tomatoes kept to one side of the dish lightly drizzle some olive oil over the rest of the dish and place the bacon in the dish before returning to the oven.
- Leave to cook for 5 to10 minutes, (this is a good time to make coffee and to grind the pepper corns in the pestle and mortar) before taking the tray out of the oven once more and turning the bacon over and continuing to cook.
- At the same time cut the croissants almost in half so that they are like clam shells and place them in the oven too (if the croissant are frozen arrange them so that the “clam shells” are open and facing downwards.
- Put the frying pan on the stove at a medium heat and drizzle a little olive oil into the pan and wipe round the pan with a piece of kitchen towel so that the whole pan is coated with a thin film of oil.
- Pour the egg and cheese mix in to the frying pan and use the chop sticks to ensure that the cheese is evenly distributed. As the mix cooks keep working it with the chop sticks bring cooked egg from the edges of the pan back into the centre.
- After a couple of minutes the eggs will be almost cooked, take them off the heat and set to one side, the eggs will continue to cook.
- Working quickly it is now time to assemble the dish: take the hot croissants from the oven and spread a thin layer of lingon sylt to the top of the bottom half of each croissant and then place two slices of bacon on top of this followed by the scrambled eggs. Finally add the roast tomatoes to the plate together with the basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
Share and enjoy!
Scrambled egg IKEA, lingon, bacon croissant, breakfast, brunch, Clarence Court, Burford Brown, tomatoes,
All photographs and text in the blog “Brunch at Goodies” are subject to copyright. © Keith Gooderham 2011-2012. All rights reserved. Do NOT copy material without requesting permission to do so. If you would like permission simply contact me.